Did you know that falling is the second leading cause of accidental or unintentional injury deaths worldwide, according to the World Health Organization? Surprising, right? Well since we all are spending way more time at home than ever before, it’s important to make sure it’s safe, especially if there are adults over 65 and young children around.
While installing support rails, fixing broken steps and securing lifted corners of the carpet are all excellent ways to prevent falls, there also are some VERY simple things you can do in your own home in an instant to make you less susceptible to injury.
Here are some SIMPLE things to do to help prevent injuries from slips and falls:
- Use non-skid mats on floors and entryways.
- Remove cords from walkways and traffic areas if possible. If not, invest in some over-floor cord protectors.
- Use a non-slip shower/bath mat in your bathtub or shower and a bath mat with an anti-slip backing on the bathroom floor.
- Clean up spills immediately.
- Pick up things that are lying on the floor like books, towels, shoes, blankets. Secure and remove cords out of walkways.
- Never stand on an unsecure chair, table, or anything with wheels.
- Wear sensible shoes, even if you are indoors. Heels, flip flops, loose slippers, etc. can be slippery and cause loss of balance.
- Use a nightlight.
- Check the side effects of medications for drowsiness and dizziness.
- Exercise. Improving strength and balance makes falling much less likely.
The above solutions are easy and relatively inexpensive, but depending on your situation, more costly home improvements may be necessary. For more safety tips check out the Home Safety Council or consult with a home safety expert in your area.
Also, give A-Affordable Insurance Agency a call to make sure your home insurance coverage is up to par. We work with several different insurance providers to find you the right coverage at the right price.
To learn more, call us today at 800-89-SAVES (72837) or https://www.a-affordableinsurance.com/.